Hunter Finnell hosted Monterey’s 2012 La Merienda– The 242nd Birthday of Monterey held June 2nd inside the Memory Gardens in Monterey’s Custom House Plaza was the Celebration for Monterey’s La Merienda!
This outdoor picnic (whenever weather permits!) is held on the first Saturday in June to honor Monterey’s founding on June 3, 1770. This was the first year a raffle & live auction were held, which Hunter MC’d and raised thousands of $$$ for the Monterey History & Art Association which puts on Le Merienda for the City of Monterey.
The first “modern” Merienda, was held in June 1929 at Colton Hall which was presided over by Carmel Martin and Harry Greene, who was known as “Breakwater Harry.” (Named for his efforts in getting the Monterey Breakwater built.) The Party was repeated in 1930 with 350 people in attendance. In 1931 the party was named “Merienda” which means “an outdoor meal” or picnic, as the Monterey History and Art Association (one of the founders – Carmel Martin) replicated Walter Colton’s 1846 picnic on the beach. Today’s La Merienda is a joyous celebration!
As we celebrated “Merienda”, we remember fondly those that came before us and Celebrated Monterey making it what it is today! Come visit and enjoy a piece of paradise! (Hunter Finnell pictured with Mayor Eric Sand )
- Thank You! Photos from 2012 Hunter Finnell Media Party
- Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion, August 19 - 21, 2011
- Peninsula's Classic Car Week commences on Monterey's Historical Fisherman's Wharf August 12, 2011
- Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance presented by Rolex, August 18, 2011
- Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, August 21, 2011